AMAZON IMAGES: FILE TYPES & NAMES
Amazon has some image standards that are specific to different product categories and you can read more about that here.
Amazon only accepts four types of images: JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg), TIFF (.tif), PNG(.png) or GIF (.gif) file formats. JPEG is preferred. Their servers do not support animated gifs.
Each one of your product images must follow Amazon’s naming conventions. They should include the following:
A product identifier: An Amazon ASIN, ISBN, EAN, JAN or UPC
A variant code: An optional four-character code. These should be used if you’re uploading more than one image to a product page.
- To appear in search results, add the variant code ‘MAIN’ to the primary product image. Amazon would presume this is your main image if you don’t include a variant code. However, if you upload photos with different variant codes, none of them will appear.
- Add variant codes like PT01 and PT02 for additional product shots
- Add TOPP, BOTT, LEFT, RGHT, FRNT or BACK for images taken from different angles
- Use codes IN01 and In02 etc. for interior shots of books
A file extension: As stated above you can only use one of the following .tif, .jpg, .gif or .png to identify the image’s file type.
Amazon sellers need to follow the formula – ASIN.VARIANT.FILETYPE
AMAZON IMAGES: SIZE & RESOLUTION
Images need to be high quality, especially to enhance the advantages of Amazon’s zoom feature. The zoom feature has been shown to help enhance sales.
For detail pages, images need to be 1600px or larger on the longest side. The smallest file size allowed for zoom is 1000px, and the smallest image size can be a minimum of 500px.
Images must not exceed 10 000px on the longest size. So to get the highest quality images you should aim for higher resolution.
The file size is not an issue, as Amazon compresses the images before they are displayed. So the best practice is to get the images at the highest possible resolution and quality and submit them to Amazon and let them do the rest.
AMAZON IMAGES: OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Standards for ALL images:
- Images must show the product accurately and represent the product that is on sale.
- Images must match the title of the product and fill 85% of the frame or more.
- Images must be clear, not blurry or pixelated.
- Images must not be offensive.
- Images must not show and Amazon branding.
Standards for MAIN images:
- MAIN images must have a pure white background of RGB colour values 255, 255, 255.
- MAIN images must be professional (graphics, illustrations, mock-ups or placeholders are not allowed). They must not show excluded accessories or props that might confuse the customer.
- MAIN images must now show any text, logos, borders, colour blocks, watermarks or graphics over the top of the product or in the background.
- MAIN images must show only one view of the product.
- MAIN images must show the entire product that is on sale.
- MAIN images must show the product outside of its packaging.
- MAIN images must not show a human model unless they are standing.
- MAIN images of clothing accessories must not show any part of a mannequin.
- MAIN images for clothing must show the product on a human model or lying flat on a surface. Invisible mannequins are acceptable as long as the product is not obscured.
- MAIN images must not show Kids & Baby clothing on a human model. They must be shown lying flat on a surface or using an invisible mannequin as long as the entire product remains visible.
- MAIN images of shoes must show a single shoe, facing left at a 45-degree angle.
Reference and more details can be found here.